Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Soft hearted (headed) for Birds

I observe this has been a birdy month.

Observation #1 Baby ducks can break my heart.

Last week, a momma duck and her last baby were in the Target parking lot, and 2 ladies had been watching over them until animal control could come get the ducks and get them to a nearby pond. The momma duck had already lost two babies. Animal control was one lady with a net, and she didn't want to spook the momma. We tried to corral them, but the momma and baby kept walking back and forth between cars. It was important to get the momma first, because we did not want her to think that her baby was captured and she needed to abandon it. The baby was getting tired and sat down, panting. The momma was tired too. The momma finally started to try to distract the lady with the net by pretending to fly away, and the very, very tired baby peeped frantically, almost screaming, and ran after her, and he was so tired! The momma stayed. It was breaking my heart, and even now I am tearing up for that poor scared baby duck and his momma. I wasn't being much help, just being another giant scary human, and I walked into the store I was going to, and by the time I walked out, animal control was driving away. I wish I knew if the baby duck and his momma were okay. I couldn't find the ladies who had been watching over them. Baby ducks break my heart.

Observation #2 I have become "head" of the flock to a cockatiel

Unrelated to the first observation, I have decided to take in a friend's young cockatiel. I have never had a bird before. This one is very cute. He was on my head as I type this, but now he is on the monitor. He is gosh darn cute. The kids are fighting to have him sit on their heads. It's a win for everyone, especially the cockatiel, which was in danger of getting eaten by a german shepherd puppy. My cat is unimpressed, and goes on with life as usual. The bird's name is Sunny. Say hello, Sunny! ... Not yet, but he may, some day.

No comments: