Monday, August 3, 2009

Living with temporary slight disability

Earlier this summer, I thought I pulled a muscle in my back while weeding. However, it didn't go away.

I thought it may be an alignment issue, and since I had a good experience with the chiropractic school in Lombard, I decided to give the chiropractor/physical therapy unit of my medical group a try. He is a professor at the school, as well as being a naparopath and acupuncturist and a medical doctor.

He gave me the bad news that he thought I had a herniated disc. An MRI confirmed that a had a pretty significant one.

So, a couple weeks ago, I started chiropractic treatment. At first I was amazed--I didn't need to take any pain killers any more after just 2 treatments. I started to feel very optimistic. I was on my 5th treatment when I went to go work out afterward and the next day something was different.

I don't think I was crazy or anything, but I was getting more of my usual movement back and feeling like I could do a light non-weight bearing exercise, like use the stationary bike. I did a great half hour on it. Felt great.

But now I have a shooting pain down my leg. I have sciatica. It sucks!

Movement is improving, but the pinch is quite aggravating, and I am back on ibuprophen.

It is better today than it was before a weekend of rest, but I am getting impatient and a little self pitying. This is the best running summer ever here in the Chicago area, and I can't run even a little bit.

Mostly, I am concerned with my lack of physical activity. I had planned on running the Chicago Marathon, and getting really buff. Instead, I am barely doing more than walking around and I am starting to look like a doughy "before" picture.

I realize that I don't really have it that bad, other people have it worse. I just want to get back to feeling good again, and this is putting a huge crimp in my lifestyle.

No comments: