Monday, May 2, 2011

Compost

It's not a secret. I garden.

I can't keep a manicure, I always have dirt under my nails for at least 5 months of the year. I have a tan on my back only were my shirt rides up when I bend over to weed.

I grow a little bit of everything in my 30' by 50' garden, and I keep it all mixed up so pests don't know what to go after. I use no chemicals, no fertilizers, just compost. Weeds happen. A lot. To the naked eye, it looks like a mess, but inside it is one huge cornucopia of unusual edibles. Some of the edibles are weeds.

This month I wrote my first article for the local Sierra Club chapter on the topic outdoor home composting. They really liked it, so I will probably be writing some more for them. It probably wouldn't be too cool to publish it here even though it was not with any agreement of exclusivity, but I will just brag about it a tiny bit.

No comments: