Sunday, August 17, 2008

Go Masters Women Athletes!

Of all the Olympic athletes who are competing in the Olympics, I am proudest of Dara Torres, 41, Oksana Chusovitina, 33, and Constantina Tomescu-Dita, 38.

Torres still got the second fastest world time ever and came within 1/100th of a second of the gold in the 50 m. She also did amazingly in the medley relay that won the US the Silver. She may even be a contender in London--she will only be 45.

Oksana Chusovitina is 33 and still a contender in vault in gymnastics! Incredible, when most of her competition is half her age or less. Addendum: She won the SILVER medal! Go Oksana!

And Constantina Tomescu-Dita won the gold in the Women's Marathon by a huge margin. Her athleticism and experience and high altitude training in Boulder, CO made her a kick butt force and an inspiration to all women runners. Having run several marathons myself, I am in awe of someone who can do such amazing time and look good doing it.

These women show that with great training and refusal to take seriously the expectations of age, they can excel in their passions and competitive spirit.

I am inspired. I am going for a nice long run now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I fully agree--- to think that my mother considered 40 as old age, and in my mind 40 is far from old. These women do inspire, as do all the athletes in the Olympics--but their actions made me feel as if I had a front seat at a glass ceiling shattering.