Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sunday Musings

The Beijing Olympic Opening Ceremonies were the coolest, most beautiful, artistic and tasteful I have ever seen. I usually get bored, or start laughing at something garish or tacky or just plain weird. This time, I was wondering what was going to happen next. The torch lighting was sublime. Kudos to the artists who brought that about. Cynically, I could crab about how that money could have gone to better causes, but damn, it was just about worth it...

Bob Costas' mostly commented on the countries coming about how much trouble we are having with each country, and how our relationships with them have suffered. He seemed a bit dour throughout all the fanfare. George W. and his wife were in the stands, looking bored and George was repeatedly whacking a little American flag against his leg in an agitated manner. He should stick to wearing it on his lapel--it will get less wear and tear, and he can pretend he has any respect for it whatsoever. Oh, yes, he is so easy to pick on...but he is on vacation for the next 6 months, so whatever...

--Gymnastics is my favorite event at the summer Olympics. When I was younger, I used to cheer for the USA and only begrudgingly cheer for excellence on any other team. The older I get though, the more I just look at every gymnast and feel like cheering, "Hooray, amazing human bodies! Go, humans! " USA still rocks, but I begrudge no one my amazement.

I have yet to catch Olympic Badminton. I wonder if any of the announcers will start giggling at the word, "shuttlecock." They probably have to get that out of their systems ahead of time...

No comments: