Sunday, January 2, 2011

Christmas and New Years!

Christmas was hard, as expected, but because we limped along with what we have always done, I think it made it easier on the whole family in the long run. Having one important person missing was change enough, totally changing everything else we do would have been traumatic.

New Years Eve, my nuclear family exchanges gifts as if it was Christmas Day. This started back when my husband and I were first married and couldn't afford to fly back to Ohio and do family presents, then also give each other gifts as well. We decided that we would celebrate our Christmas one month later. It ended up working so well, we've been doing the later holiday ever since.

As we get older, we aren't going all out on gifts to each other. We have enough "stuff." So, now we do small things like edible treats, and replacement items. This year, Dan got me a microwave. The one we have is 15 years old and rusting. He made it special by wrapping the new one up, and singing me the Sun TV "I Got Me a Microwave Oven" jingle from about 20-25 years ago. It's probably up there in most annoying radio jingles--it's catchy, and back when they were running it, ubiquitous. Ask anyone who grew up in Central Ohio during the 80s and 90s--they can sing it for you.

With a polka-esque gusto:

"I got me a microwave oven/a gift for my family!!!!
My wife loves her microwave oven/she says that it sets her free!!!!!
It cooks up so much faster and better/and uses less energy!!!!!
I got me a microwave oven/I got it at Sun TV!!!!!

Don't you be a kitchen slave/get yourself a microwave!!!!!
Don't get left home on the range!!!!!
Microwave food is delicious!/ Cooks faster and more nutritious!!!!!
It's time to make the change!!!!!!
I got me a Microwave oven/ I got it at Sun TV!!!!!!"

New Years Eve was 3 days ago, and I'm still humming "I Got Me a Microwave Oven" against my will. It's a gift that keeps giving.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've had this jingle in my head and was trying to find the words. I would love to find the actual clip! Thanks for posting.