Thursday, February 7, 2008

Good Neighbors

Yesterday, I shoveled at intervals throughout the day, removing 11 inches or so of perfect snowman/snowball packing snow from my driveway and sidewalk. It was hard work, and I made sure to lift with the legs. I feel no need today to go do an upper body workout at the Y like I normally would. Every muscle has been well used. A lot of my neighbors were out with their shovels too, and our kids were alternately helping and making forts and snowmen.

A few of my neighbors were buzzing away with their gassy smelly snow blowers. I don't begrudge this of my neighbors who I know have health issues, back problems, etc. However, I do get irritated with the able bodied neighbors who use theirs just because they can. I really start to dislike them when they only use it enough to clear the driveway for their SUV and don't use it on their sidewalks. Then they swerve out, cell phone to ear, ignoring oncoming traffic, sipping their coffee, and they drive away. It's a tired cliche that SUV drivers are the most selfish scum on the planet. I won't belabor that. It's still a tragedy to watch them in action.

What really touched me in a life affirming way was my next door neighbors. They are in their 60s, and between them the have had 4 hip replacements and 2 knee replacements. My husband and I regularly try to shovel for them whenever we can. That is the good neighbor thing to do, and I think we are also trying to store up some good karma.

Yesterday, though, my husband had the flu, and just for extra kicks, the water heater sprang a leak and flooded the basement, so I was a little overwhelmed. (Oh karma, wadIdotayou?) I didn't get over to their place much more than to help move the heavy slush that gets plowed up at the end of the driveway from the plows.

My next door neighbors were out about 7 times yesterday, moving snow as a team so it wouldn't get too heavy for them. I did not get out more than three times, and it was heavy work each time.

They must have been exhausted, but they knew I was a little frazzled, and on the third time I was out, they insisted on helping me with the shoveling of our sidewalk and the end of the driveway. I was struck by how sweet and selfless and neighborly that was. I also felt guilty. I felt guilty for being helped by two people who could barely stand, but I was also grateful.

I am lucky to have neighbors who look out for each other. Being a good neighbor begets getting good neighbors, more often than not. I feel blessed to be surrounded with this sort of goodness that feeds back to us. I feel sorry for Mr./Mrs. SUV who will never understand this, living in their little selfish bubble, maybe not even bothering to learn their neighbor's names.

No comments: