Monday, January 26, 2009

SAD Sufferer Needs a Party

(Cue the dirge music)

After the high of the Obama Inauguration, there is presently nothing to look forward to for a while. I have a birthday in March, but February is one of those months that one just has to endure. Valentine's Day and President's Day don't count for much but candy and furniture sales, and I don't need either of them.

This winter has been closer to the winters of my youth. Winters of my younger years were dark and bitter. They were cold too.

When I was a kid in Ohio, we had winters that were unreasonably cold and had such deep snow we didn't see the ground for literally months. One year, in the last week of February, I went outside and dug in the snow in the back yard. I couldn't stand being stuck inside the house anymore, and I was frustrated with my family, starting the shift to pubescence, and just plain feeling SAD without knowing what it was. I dug and dug and finally could reach down a whole arm length and STILL could not find ground. I started to cry, and then I started to shriek, and then I started pummeling the snow. I kept digging and pummeling, and finally found the ground in a hole that, had I stood in it, would have come up near to my waist. Instead, I just bent over into it and cried my eyes out as I finally touched the frozen grass.

I'm not screaming into snowholes yet. However, it isn't February for a few more days. Right now I just feel more "meh" than usual.

Maybe I need to sit on the back patio in a bikini on a sunny day with a space heater or three, a pitcher of lemonade and a stack of seed catalogs. Oi. What a picture. My albedo is stunning.

I have decided that I want a party. I want a February party now. It must be bright, it must involve summer activities, and it must involve friends. I will do this! Who wants in? I will go shrieking into the tundra in a few weeks...

No comments: