Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wednesday Random

Today is Wednesday Random. Included today is useless blather and pictures and a bit of a piano recital.

We can see the ground, thanks to a February warm up. Now it is muddy and gloppy, but by gosh, I can start imagining things growing in the swampy garden, and it makes me happy. I am starting some seedlings today of winter lettuce and whatever else strikes my fancy from the seed box. However, I will have them under grow lights and in the window for now. Temps in the 60s for one day can't fool me.

My high school speech team had Regionals for speech last weekend, and we managed to get 5 events to Sectionals this weekend, and Performance in the Round as well. Our Sectional is devilishly hard, probably harder than State. It would be cool to get one of them at least to State, but this year it is all the way down near the bottom of Illinois, so I am not sure how much we are hoping for it. Darn long trip.

I think on hold music should just be some rockin' radio station, not muzak. Yesterday at work I was put on hold with a very awesome music station, and it made me actually enjoy being on hold.

Children should be allowed to read whatever they want, even if their reading level testing indicates they should be reading harder books. My older son avoids reading for pleasure because when he was younger, he somehow tested into the 9th grade reading level and his teacher took this as gospel. There were very few books in his reading level in the school library, and the ones that were had content entirely over the head for the mind of an immature 8 year old, no matter how big his vocabulary. Even Harry Potter was considered off limits because it was in a lower lexile. It was rigid and educationally criminal, and it took a long time for him to have any joy in reading.

Sometimes, teachers are dumber than rocks.


Here is another striped scarf. It will be a gift to my friend Melody.

My kids did a piano recital last weekend. It was entertaining overall, even with over 40 performers showing their pieces. Here is the video (just the most important two performers):


No comments: