Thursday, September 25, 2008

Fascination

I have professed a dislike for the cable news stations before--they are repetitive, sensational, and biased. You can count on having to tune in to CNN, Fox and MSNBC to get each take and try to figure out the story from there--if you still care. However, sometimes when something huge is actually happening, I find myself drawn to them, like a dog to chocolate.

The financial meltdown is such an event. I don't understand well enough what is happening (about as much as anyone else), and I am desperate for the latest news.

John McCain decided to suspend his campaign, which at first looked like a bold move--but then just kind of didn't make sense--he is not a finance guy, and hasn't been involved in the negotiations or even congress much this year.

What was Obama going to do? Is he going to follow? I hope not, that would be so...so..Dukakis-y. Ah, he didn't. He even made it clear it was a stupid idea.

He will not consent to canceling the debates.

The agreement is reached, McCain shows up, it falls apart. Must he keep helping?...Will Obama and the news crews be hanging out in Mississippi for a chatty news conference instead?

I am glued to the TV, my kitchen is a mess, I haven't worked out, and I just finished knitting a scarf I forgot was in my hands.

No comments: