Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11 ™

It seems like yesterday, it seems like a million years ago.

As I listened this morning to WBBM 780AM on my way to a commercial shoot, I couldn't help but tear up when they reported about the ceremonies and moments of silence being observed all over the country. I listened to parts of the ceremony at ground zero when names of the dead were called. I heard about the firefighters all over the country holding observances to remember the brave ones who died trying to save others. Heard about the new memorial at the Pentagon being unveiled today.

I was surprised as the day went on that I was not hearing more of the bombastic rhetoric that we have been getting from the Republicans, since this has been more or less turned into their "rally" day. Then I saw this from CNBC last night. I don't watch this guy much, since I am really tired of cable news in general, but he really stuck it to them. I think it may have had an effect. My friend, Rachel, said she wished she could turn it into a public service announcement. I think he is over the top, and is some places dead wrong, but he does make some excellent points:

• Current administration and current contenders are make September 11 a tacky brand name, using it not as a call for unity of purpose for the nation as a whole, but an overbearing tool for fear. "Vote for us or it will happen again!"

• The "Tribute" to September 11 at the Republican Convention was in really poor taste. It was graphic, accentuated the horror of the day instead of honoring the dead and the heroes of that day, and it brought in the 1978 Iranian Revolution extraneously to stoke paranoia. It was shameful.

• Current administration is still escaping all culpability for its transgressions against the nation and the world.


No comments: