Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Second Impression--Sarah Palin

I was trying to listen to her all-important acceptance speech on NPR as I was driving home, but her speaking style aurally is like listening to a cheesy spokesperson on a local carpet ad. She basically repeated what she said in her introductory speech, went on and on about her family, tweaked the dems with the same old party line blather, so I couldn't gleen any new substance from it. I got frustrated. I wanted her to go in for some more coaching, and a good rewrite, this time with substance over form, and get rid of the faux-sincerity! It's so faux!

Perhaps she said something important and noteworthy when I switched away for the traffic report for a minute. The audience at the convention sounded over-excited, like they were being forced to cheer next to the radio pavilion. What did it look like? I will be interested in seeing the full speech on video to see if communication was more effective visually. A transcript might be nice too, in case I can't sit through it.

Believe it or not, I really would like to like her even if I do not like her reputation as an extreme right winger and her apparent overall lack of experience. I actually think John McCain is personally a pretty okay guy and the best thing Republicans have let rise to the top in some time. But I am still scratching my head on this veep pick...I don't get her supposed appeal, and this speech as far as I could listen to it did not answer any questions whatsoever, just repeat stuff over and over as if it was an answer.

The "news" channels and all are no help. I know more about poor daughter Bristol than I do about Sarah. How incredibly inept. The manipulation by the GOP and the Dems in this "family" situation is ham-handed and highly irritating. Using the children while thumping their chests at the injustice of their exposure. My inner teen girl is highly mortified for Bristol. Poor kid.

I guess I will just have to keep wading through the muck, waiting for the real Sarah Palin to emerge from the media underbrush, fierce and proud or loud and stinky, just like the moose she likes to hunt.

No comments: