Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Whew. I say, whew.

I am so very pleased that Obama won.

I feel like I can have faith in America in general again, and the majority of Americans are not motivated by fear and smear tactics. It's a huge task to undo some of the damage of the past 8 years, and we have a huge job ahead of us, so celebration time is short. So today, I will have a little party going on in my heart.

I know I am not alone in feeling that the outcome of this election was keeping me awake at night for months.

John McCain is a great and honorable man, and he's one of my favorite politicians in Washington. However, his party had been taken over by some genuinely evil people, and there was no way for him to make it as his party's candidate without using them. I wonder if McCain had any choice about choosing Sarah Palin as his running mate, or if that was the final deal with the devil. I still think that he wouldn't have lived long had he taken office with her--he will have better and longer life because of this defeat. And we will need him.

They talked about "exciting the base"-- but what's left of the republican base after eight Bush years is truly some of the worst and most ignorant people in the country. Everyone else fled. It made a loud noise, but it wasn't a big enough group. Thank goodness.

Probably the best thing last night was the long faces and shaky voices at Fox News. They have been the perpetrators of the worst demagoguery and invective for the republican party, and now they can see that it was an epic FAIL.

I told my husband this morning that I feel like a big weight has been lifted from my shoulders, and he joked, yeah, we were all counting on you for this.

But perhaps all of us who voted so convincingly and overwhelmingly for Obama should feel that way. A new beginning can happen because the People spoke over the shouting.

No comments: