Friday, November 28, 2008

Flying the Nasty Skies

We just got back from a trip to North Carolina to visit my in-laws. It was a nice, low key trip, as it usually is. They live in the country, so time is spent in the house, in the garden, and out on the river fishing.

If only we didn't have to fly to get there. Flying just gets worse and worse. Not only are they charging for checked bags, not only do they want to charge you extra for a crappy pillow, not only do they charge you for a soda or water on shorter flights, not only does the airport security personnel treat you like a recalcitrant prisoner----They haven't CLEANED the insides of the planes at ALL! FOR MONTHS!

My older son was at the window seat on one of our flights, and the window was thick with greasy and dusty jeri-curl. Or maybe it was what he thought it was--hairy pus. Regardless, it was disgusting. We brought it up to the attendant and she offhandedly said, "Yeah, I have been complaining about that for about a month now."

Don't even get me started on the "magazine" pouch. The in-flight magazines (from September) were torn and full of spit out gum and ripped pages. Small trash from countless passengers was still stuck in each pouch on each leg of my flights, and I was not about to stick my hand in there to explore to expound on it.

The tray tables were grimy, the seats were dirty, the ceilings were visibly dirty. Who knows what we were inhaling, we all know that the air is recycled and has to be dirty.

And to top it off, they lost our luggage on the way back. It would be great to get our $15 back, but it ain't gonna happen.

Now I have a scratchy throat. Guess from where.

Next time I go on a flight, I will make sure I bring loads of wet wipes, small amounts of antibacterial fluid and wear a mask.

Maybe I can negotiate cleaning and sterilizing my seating area if they will waive the fee for losing my luggage again.

No comments: